- Coptic Global Facebook Fan Page
- Coptic Orthodox Christian (English) Facebook Fan Page
- Bible Verse (English) Facebook Fan Page
- Coptic Orthodox Facebook Group
- Coptic Orthodox Christian (Arabic) Facebook Fan Page
- Bible Verse (Arabic) Facebook Fan Page
- Arabic Blog
Sunday, March 18, 2012
Egypt Coptic Christian Pope Shenouda dies: adviser
CAIRO | Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:09pm EDT
(Reuters) - Egyptian Coptic Christian Pope Shenouda III, the patriarch of most of Egypt's estimated 12 million Christians, died on Saturday from old age, his political adviser told Reuters.
Bells tolled in Cairo's Abbasiya district, site of Egypt's main Coptic cathedral, as the news spread.
Shenouda, 88, became the 117th Pope of Alexandria in November 1971, and was popular among Egypt's Christians and Muslims alike during his four decades in power.
His successor will play a central role in forging the church's position in the country after the overthrow of president Hosni Mubarak last year. Islamist parties have since swept parliamentary elections and will dominate the debate over drawing up the country's new constitution.
"He died from complications in health and from old age," adviser Hany Aziz said. Shenouda had recently returned from abroad where he had been seeking medical treatment.
Shenouda's criticism of the government's handling of an Islamic insurgency in the 1970s, in which Christians were targets, and his rejection of Egypt's 1979 peace treaty with Israel landed him in trouble with then-president Anwar Sadat.
Sadat banished him to the Wadi el Natrun monastery north west of Cairo and stripped him of his temporal powers.
Under more than a quarter century of President Mubarak's rule, relations between the government and the Coptic church were generally smooth, with the Pope portrayed in state media as a symbol of religious harmony, despite occasional outbreaks of sectarian violence.
On Saturday, condolences poured in from Egypt's Muslim leaders and from politicians.
"Egypt has lost one of its rare men at a sensitive moment when it most needs the wisest of its wise - their expertise and their purity of minds," said Sheikh Ahmed el-Tayib, grand imam of Egypt's highest Islamic authority, al-Azhar.
"He held the question of Jerusalem and the Palestinian problem in his conscious," the state Middle East news agency quoted him as saying.
Mohamed Mursi, chairman of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party (FJP), said Pope Shenouda had a long journey of service during the nation's history.
"The Freedom and Justice Party sends its deepest condolences to the Egyptian people and our Christian brothers over the death of Pope Shenouda III," he said in statement on the website of the FJP, which took almost half the seats in Egypt's new parliament.
Father Anglos Ishaq, head of the church on Egypt's north coast, said a temporary replacement would be chosen until a new pope was elected.
"It is too early to know what will happen next, but what is known is that the oldest bishop in the Holy See will be chosen as charge d'affaires until a new pope gets chosen by elections from different church councils in the different provinces."
He said the pope's body was expected to remain in a coffin for three days, provided doctors gave their approval.
"All details about the burial and how long his body will remain for people to come and receive blessings will be decided by doctors," Father Anglos said. "But surely people will get some time to see the body and receive blessings."
- Synaxarium - 11 Babah - 21 October - 11 Tekemt
- Daily Readings - 11 Babah - 21 October - 11 Tekemt
- Synaxarium - 10 Babah - 20 October - 10 Tekemt
- Daily Readings - 10 Babah - 20 October - 10 Tekemt
- Synaxarium - 5 Babah - 15 October - 5 Tekemt
- Daily Readings - 5 Babah - 15 October - 5 Tekemt
- Synaxarium - 4 Babah - 14 October - 4 Tekemt
- Daily Readings - 4 Babah - 14 October - 4 Tekemt
- Suffering is the vocation of Christians
- Synaxarium - 3 Babah - 13 October - 3 Tekemt
- Daily Readings - 3 Babah - 13 October - 3 Tekemt
- The Coming of Saint Severus, Patriarch of Antioch, to Egypt
- Daily Readings - 2 Babah - 12 October - 2 Tekemt
- Like Eagles (Christian Music Video) with Nick Vujicic
- The Martyrdom of Saint Anastasia
- Daily Readings - 1 Babah - 11 October - 1 Tekemt
- World's oldest christian illustrated manuscript found in Ethiopia
- Egyptian Synaxarium Toot 16
- The Departure of St. Macarius the Great - Egyptian Synaxarium Baramhat 27
- St Maurice comes home - Talaat Ayoub
- Happy Easter
- Attaining the Resurrection - His Grace Bishop Youssef - Bishop of the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern United States
- The Power of the Resurrection and the Joy and Evangelism of the Martyrs - His Grace Bishop Serapion - Bishop of the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Los Angeles
- World's Oldest Monastery Restored
- Clashes In Egyptian Town After Coptic Killings
- The Big Question: What is the Codex Sinaiticus, and what does it reveal about the Bible? - The Independent Tuesday, 7 July 2009
- Codex Sinaiticus - Historic Bible Pages Put Online - BBC News
- Signs Of Love For God Nothing Tastes Beside Him - Your sole occupation – Work with Him Everything reminds of Him - His Holiness Pope Shenouda III - Patriarch 117th of the See of Alexandria and Successor of St. Mark. Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria
- How should we love God? (8) Fear of God leads to His love - Love for people and for good leads to love for God - His Holiness Pope Shenouda III - Patriarch 117th of the See of Alexandria and Successor of St. Mark. Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria
- Ethiopian Synaxarium Miyazia 23
- Egyptian Synaxarium Bermodah 23
- The Resurrection and Freedom - H.G. Bishop Moussa - Bishop of Youth – Youth Bishopric
- How should we love God? (7) Take Him as a friend; Set Him always before you - His Holiness Pope Shenouda III - Patriarch 117th of the See of Alexandria and Successor of St. Mark. Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria
- He is risen on the third day - His Grace Bishop Raphaeil – Cairo Downtown Churches
- Ethiopian Synaxarium Miyazia 20
- Egyptian Synaxarium Bermodah 20
- Resurrection & Life The deep significance of life - His Holiness Pope Shenouda III - Patriarch 117th of the See of Alexandria and Successor of St. Mark. Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria
- Spiritual meanings derived from Palm and Olive Branches - His Holiness Pope Shenouda III - Patriarch 117th of the See of Alexandria and Successor of St. Mark. Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria
- Glorified Through Suffering - His Grace Bishop Youssef - Bishop of the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern United States
- Christ is Risen! Truly He is Risen! - His Grace Bishop Serapion - Bishop of the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Los Angeles
Word of the Day
Quote of the Day
Article of the Day
This Day in History
In the News